Lenten tsoureki without eggs and milk.
What we need:
- 2.20 lbs strong flour for tsoureki
- 2 oranges, juice and zest
- 7.05 oz olive oil
- 2 packets of dry yeast
- 7.05 oz sugar
- 8.82 oz lukewarm water
- 1 tsp mahlab
- 1 tsp ground mastic
- Optionally: dark chocolate drops or flakes
Preparation: - (0 Votes)
Cooking: - (0 Votes)
How to do it:
- Mix 200 gr of the flour with the two packets of yeast and the water in a bowl. Let the batter double for 20'.
- Put the flour in a large bowl, make a well in the middle and add the rest of the ingredients. Finally, add the yeast batter. Knead well until you have a firm dough. Let it rest in a warm place and double in size (it takes about 2 hours).
- Divide the dough into parts and knead one by one so that it gets a smooth texture and then give it any shape you like (round, braid, etc.).
- Place them on a baking tray that you have lined with baking paper leaving quite a bit of space between them so that they rise again (they need 1 additional hour).
- Bake at 150-160°C for 45΄.
- Optionally: For a chocolate filling, make a thin roll of the dough (like a snake). Press it with the rolling pin so that it gets flat. Sprinkle with the chocolate drops and then seal it from end to end. Now you have a snake with plenty chocolate in its belly. Shape it into a round tsoureki or make another and braid them.
Review and Rate this Recipe
Your personal note
Send a link to this recipe to a friend