Magiritsa by Evdokia
|User rating: (Greek Vote)||25 votes|
Magiritsa is a traditional soup, eaten to break the Great Lent fast, immediately after the Pascha midnight Divine Liturgy. It is made from lamb offal.
What we need:
- 1 lamb or kid pluck: liver, lungs and other organs
- intestines of a lamb or kid
- 1 bottle of vinegar
- 2 heads of lettuce
- 15 scallions, finely chopped
- 1.32 lbs onions
- 2 leeks
- 1 cup fresh dill finely chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup sweet red or white wine
- juice of one orange
- black pepper
- 6 ltr water
- 5.29 oz rice
- 3 eggs
- 4 lemons
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Preparation: - (0 Votes)
Cooking: - (0 Votes)
How to do it:
- Wash the pluck and the intestines very well and remove the fat. Put them in a large bowl, sprinkle with lots of vinegar and let stand until we have everything else ready.
- Wash the lettuce, sprinkle with vineger and rinse again with water. Finely chop it without crushing it.
- Finely chop the intestines. Put them in a bowl with the juice of 2 lemons and let them stand.
- Peel, wash, chop and process the onions in a blender.
- Finely chop the scallions, leeks and dill.
- Take the eggs out of the fridge.
- In a pot, bring 3 ltr of water to boil on high heat. Once it begins to bubble intensely, add the pluck and let it boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove the pluck from the pot, strain it and finely chop it. Throw away the water, wash the pot and put it back on the stove on high heat. Pour the olive oil, the scallions, the onions, the leeks, salt, a bit of sugar and mix with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes.
- Pour some wine, add the chopped pluck and the chopped intestines and let them boil for 15 minutes on high heat, without covering the pot. Pour the rest of the wine, the orange juice, salt and pepper and let them boil in medium heat, covering the pot, for another 10 minutes.
- Raise the heat, add 3 ltr of water, the lettuce and the dill. Cover the pot and when it comes to boil, reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for an hour, without opening the pot.
- Wash and drain the rice.
- Raise the heat and add the rice. Cover the pot and when the soup begins to boil, reduce the heat once again and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the egg and lemon sauce (avgolemono). Beat the egg yolks and the olive oil and add the lemon juice. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Add them to the yolk mixture and continue beating. While beating, temper the sauce with spoonfuls of the hot stock. Once the temperature of the egg-lemon sauce has reached that of the stock's, pour it into the soup and stir.
- Let the soup stand for 10 minutes and serve.
Review and Rate this Recipe
Your personal note
Send a link to this recipe to a friend
- Pork with asparagus
- Asparagus with potatoes in the oven (simple)
- Agrelia (wild asparagus) with eggs
- Spaghetti with raw tomato and olives
- Savory kritsinia with olive paste
- Delicious almond koulourakia
- Olive paste
- Cheese bread, super easy and tasty
- Super easy cheese bread with onion, olives and oregano
- Braids with feta cheese, olives and peppers